- This topic is empty.
November 5, 2020 at 3:56 AM #11196Arshad AmmermanGuest
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery, Alison Anderson
- Language: english
- Characters: Renée Michel, Paloma Josse, Kakuro Ozu
- Author: Muriel Barbery, Alison Anderson
- ISBN: 9781933372600 (1933372605)
- Awards: BTBA Best Translated Book Award Nominee for Fiction Longlist (2009), Prix des Libraires (2007), Brive-La-Gaillarde Readers Prize (2007), French-American Foundation Translation Prize Nominee for Fiction (2008), Prix Georges Brassens (2006)
- Publisher: Europa Editions
- Format: paperback, 325 pages
- Release date: September 2, 2008
- Genres: fiction, france, contemporary, philosophy, novels, literature, adult
- Places: France
About The Book
A moving, funny, triumphant novel that exalts the quiet victories of the inconspicuous among us.
We are in the center of Paris, in an elegant apartment building inhabited by bourgeois families. Renée, the concierge, is witness to the lavish but vacuous lives of her numerous employers. Outwardly she conforms to every stereotype of the concierge: fat, cantankerous, addicted to television. Yet, unbeknownst to her employers, Renée is a cultured autodidact who adores art, philosophy, music, and Japanese culture. With humor and intelligence she scrutinizes the lives of the building’s tenants, who for their part are barely aware of her existence.
Then there’s Paloma, a twelve-year-old genius. She is the daughter of a tedious parliamentarian, a talented and startlingly lucid child who has decided to end her life on the sixteenth of June, her thirteenth birthday. Until then she will continue behaving as everyone expects her to behave: a mediocre pre-teen high on adolescent subculture, a good but not an outstanding student, an obedient if obstinate daughter.
Paloma and Renée hide both their true talents and their finest qualities from a world they suspect cannot or will not appreciate them. They discover their kindred souls when a wealthy Japanese man named Ozu arrives in the building. Only he is able to gain Paloma’s trust and to see through Renée’s timeworn disguise to the secret that haunts her. This is a moving, funny, triumphant novel that exalts the quiet victories of the inconspicuous among us.
MP3 ebook The Elegance of the Hedgehog read online on iPad on Dymocks. TXT book The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. FB2 The Elegance of the Hedgehog buy cheap on Book Depository.0