- This topic is empty.
November 7, 2020 at 1:54 AM #11865Elena JacobsGuest
The Buddha in the Attic
by Julie Otsuka
- Publisher: Knopf
- ISBN: 9780307700001 (0307700003)
- Language: english
- Release date: August 23, 2011
- Author: Julie Otsuka
- Format: hardcover, 129 pages
- Genres: fiction, japan, historical, asia, adult
- Awards: PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction (2012), Prix Femina for Étranger (2012), National Book Award Finalist for Fiction (2011), David J. Langum Sr. Prize for American Historical Fiction (2011), International Dublin Literary Award Nominee for Shortlist (2013)
About The Book
Julie Otsuka’s long-awaited follow-up to When the Emperor Was Divine is a tour de force of economy and precision, a novel that tells the story of a group of young women brought from Japan to San Francisco as “picture brides” nearly a century ago.
In eight incantatory sections, The Buddha in the Attic traces the picture brides’ extraordinary lives, from their arduous journey by boat, where they exchange photographs of their husbands, imagining uncertain futures in an unknown land; to their arrival in San Francisco and their tremulous first nights as new wives; to their backbreaking work picking fruit in the fields and scrubbing the floors of white women; to their struggles to master a new language and a new culture; to their experiences in childbirth, and then as mothers, raising children who will ultimately reject their heritage and their history; to the deracinating arrival of war.
EPUB The Buddha in the Attic download on Audible. FictionBook ebook The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka buy cheap Android. MOBI book The Buddha in the Attic Julie Otsuka on Dymocks.
Hardcover ebook The Buddha in the Attic read for PocketBook. FB2 book The Buddha in the Attic buy. PDF The Buddha in the Attic Julie Otsuka download on iOS on Kobo.
MP3 ebook The Buddha in the Attic read online Kindle. Paperback The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka on Barnes & Noble. TXT book The Buddha in the Attic download for Mac.0